Log in

No account? Create an account

To · Talk · of · Many · Things · ...


Recent Entries · Archive · Friends · Profile

* * *
My wife Kathy is the not-so-proud (at this time) owner of a Stryker Triathlon® Knee Replacement System. Last Tuesday, she had one surgically installed in her right leg. Now she is suffering the consequences which involve quite a lot of drug-tempered pain, physical therapy, pushing around a walker and, since Friday, home health care provided by an inept old man. All that will likely last for several months, then it's supposed to get better. I can hardly wait. Actually, its not so bad; after thirty-seven married years we're used to yelling at each other.

Therapy consists of morning and evening exercises plus six hours on an ARTROMOT-K4 machine that flexes the knee between -10 and 100 degrees, cycling every thirty seconds. A VASCUTHERM, the nurses called it a blue coolade machine, circulates 49 degree F water through a jacket Kathy wears around her knee. During our spare time, we're watching McLeod's Daughters which is an Australian tv series about a ranch family. I hesitate calling it a western because I think it was filmed in southeastern Australia. There are eight years of episodes available from Netflix. We'll probably see them all.

Recently, while lj-surfing, I ran across an entry by windrider_09 about an emergency evacuation in Antarctica. Some old memories bubbled to the surface. That led to some googling and internet surfing about Antarctica. In the process, I ran across an interesting journal with a number of nice photos of 'the ice'.
* * *
* * *
[User Picture]
On January 15th, 2008 04:48 am (UTC), 7ony commented:
I wintered-over at the 2nd Byrd Station, or New Byrd Station, located at 80S latitude, 120W longitude. Snow drifts buried the original Byrd Station in a couple of years so the station was rebuilt in tunnels under the surface. We lived and worked in prefab buildings placed in the tunnels. I believe station number 2 was abandoned about 1972. I spent a few weeks at McMurdo and unfortunately never made it to the South Pole Station.

Edited at 2008-01-15 05:06 am (UTC)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
On January 16th, 2008 11:15 pm (UTC), 7ony replied:
It was my first job after college graduation. I operated and maintained equipment used to record various geophysical events on 'the ice.' The job was for twelve months, but ended up lasting 15. In the beginning, it seemed like a good idea; I was less sure at the end.

BTW, I've worked at the other end of the earth too, on the north slope of Alaska. I've walked on the Arctic Ocean.

Edited at 2008-01-16 11:16 pm (UTC)
* * *

Previous Entry · Leave a comment · Share · Next Entry